Hello readers! Welcome to the first post of Harry Potter month here on ARMW!! I thought that a fun way to kick off this month would be to FINALLY read the full new story of the Ilvermony School of Witchcraft and Wizardry that J.K. Rowling released on Pottermore. There will be some mild spoilers for the story in this review, so please read with caution!
I was super pumped about this when I saw the initial teaser trailer for it – which I would definitely recommend watching! Check it out here, if you haven’t had a chance to watch it yet! 🙂
I’ve read the story now and overall, found it very delightful. There are definitely some parallels between this story and the original Harry Potter series: the death of the protagonists’ parents, the Parseltongue connection, the four Houses, etc. Alongside the similarities, there are definitely some unique aspects to this story, as well:
- I very much appreciated Isolt’s backstory and her own emotional journey. I love that it was she that created the Ilvermony School of Witchcraft and Wizardy, in attempts to create an equal space where anyone can come together to learn magic.
- I loved that the main conflict with Gormlaith Gaunt was with the two boys: Webster and Chadwick. I very much respect that J.K. Rowling seems to be continuing to create literary spaces that honor the experience of younger individuals.
- I loved the integration of Magical Beasts in the story when Isolt first came to North America and how they were the ones that helped Isolt to create a new life for herself.
Now that I read the story, I OBVIOUSLY had to get myself sorted into my Ilvermony House. Like Hogwarts, there are four Houses and each House represents the whole witch or wizard, which I think is super cool. The four Houses are:
- Horned Serpent – the mind and favors scholars
- Wampus – the body and favors warriors
- Pukwudgie – the heart and favors healers
- Thunderbird – the soul and favors adventurers
Where did this Hufflepuff get sorted…?!?!
Horned Serpent?! I was definitely quite surprised with this outcome… In a lot of ways, it makes sense – but I also expected to be sorted into Pukwudgie or even Thunderbird? This was definitely not one of the Houses that I thought I would be sorted into – so, I’m interested to see what this means for wizards and witches sorted in the Ilvermony Houses.
All in all, I am so grateful that I get to continue reading and enjoying the Wizarding World through the eyes of J.K. Rowling now as an adult. I love that I get to continue to carry one of my greatest childhood memories and adventures into my adulthood and I am excited for this next generation to enjoy her works, as much as I have! 🙂
I hope you all enjoyed reading about some of my thoughts on the story of the Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and my thoughts on my Ilvermony House.
What House did you get sorted into? Were you surprised?